- Before planting your Azaleas make sure the soil PH is in the
slightly acidic range of 6.5 to 5.5. Alkaline soils can be detrimental to the
health and blooming of your Azalea. If your soil is Alkaline take step to
increase the acidity of your soil such as a fertilizer for acid loving plants.
- Plant your Azalea only as deep as the root ball is tall, but dig
the hole 2-3 times the width of the root ball. Planting your azalea too deep
can cause root rot.
- When planting your azalea it is a good idea to back fill the
whole with a 50/50 mix of your native soil and rich organic garden soil.
- Azaleas will grow best at least 1 inch of water a week
especially while the plant is getting established, so if you are experiencing a
dry spell make sure to give your plant a drink.
- Mulching around your plant will help ensure that the soil stays
moist, and will help reduce the need to weed.
- Azaleas like shade but not too much, but they also like sun but
not too much. Azaleas will perform best in a part sun area that will receive at
least 4-6 hours of sunlight per day. Azaleas can tolerate full sunlight, but
care must be taken to prevent them from getting stressed in drought conditions.
- For more information on Azalea Care visit: http://www.encoreazalea.com/garden-advice/article/faq