The Semmes Beauty Oakleaf Hydrangea is a deciduous/semi-evergreen plant and will go dormant during the winter months. When this plant is ordered during the Fall/Winter expect seasonal foliage decline(discoloration, spots, leaf drop) or the plant to arrive completely dormant.
For an extra 10% off your order of deciduous plants use coupon code: DormantPlant2021
What to do when a dormant plant arrives:
- Unpackage on arrival and water
- Your plant will be ready to be planted in the landscape or in a container on arrival, or if you wish you can keep your new plant in its container until spring that is ok too
- If planting in the landscape
- Consider using a root stimulating fertilizer to get your plant working hard establishing its root system during the winter months
- Use a heavy Layer of mulch to protect the unestablished roots from frost
- If planting in the landscape
- Dormant plants do require some watering: once a week should be sufficient
- When Spring arrives and your plant begins showing signs of new growth increase your watering schedule to 2 times every 7 to ten days until established, then water as needed. Apply a slow-release granular fertilizer to give your plant a great start
The Semmes Beauty Oakleaf Hydrangea is a fantastic choice for any partial shade garden or landscape. With leaves that reflect its namesake, this Oakleaf brings dynamic structure and texture to the table. Broad, light-green leaves emerge in Spring after this deciduous shrub awakens from its winter slumber. Large conical, white flower panicles emerge in mid-summer, joining the matured dark green foliage. Furthermore, these blooms appear a couple of weeks earlier than traditional Oakleaf Hydrangeas, and they are also larger and more white. These flower stalks will age to a light pink until finally drying to a light brown. Afterwards, the soft green leaves turn to a glossy copper brown and red in fall, once the blooms have run their course. The Semmes Beauty’s dynamically changing nature will keep your landscape beautiful and intriguing all growing season long.
The Semmes Beauty Oakleaf Hydrangea features a vigorous growth habit and will quickly make itself at home in your landscape. This hydrangea maxes out at 8-10 feet high and 10-12 feet wide, and will have a true presence once matured. In addition, this plant is noted for its heat-tolerance, and is perfect for landscapes and gardens in the southern United States.
Use it as a specimen, foundation plant, screen, or border. Additionally, its blooms make for unique cut-flowers, as well as gorgeous dried flowers.
Semmes Beauty Oakleaf Hydrangea Care Tips
USDA Zones 5-9.
Plant this beauty in Full Sun to Partial Shade in well-draining acidic soil. If planted in full sun, plant in a location where it will receive morning sun and afternoon shade. Fertilize throughout the growing season, according to the recommended guidelines set by your hydrangea fertilizer. Regular feeding will allow for this landscape favorite to remain happy and healthy.
This Oakleaf Hydrangea is particularly low-maintenance and won’t require any extra pruning, unless desired.
Semmes Beauty Oakleaf Hydrangea Spacing Recommendations
Space Your Semmes Beauty Oakleaf Hydrangea 5-6 feet apart for a seamless planting. Otherwise, plant them 8+ feet apart to leave space between shrubs.
Check out five other shade-friendly plants!