While many Rhododendrons can’t handle swelteringly hot temperatures, the extraordinary new Southgate Rhododendrons from the Southern Living Plant Collection can handle the dog days and won’t skip a beat in the deep south heat. The Southgate Radiance Rhododendron has intense lavender buds that open up to snowy white and magenta blooms in spring. This evergreen shrub’s growth rate is fairly slow and will stay compact and manageable at only 4 x 4ft. The Radiance will be happy and healthy when planted in well-drained garden soil in part shade to full shade. Fertilize once yearly in early spring to make sure this Rhododendron stays packed with blooms.
- water before planting
- plant in Part Sun to Shade
- dig hole 3X the width of pot,
- backfill and plant 1″-2″ above soil level
- water and add more soil if needed
- mulch plants
- fertilize yearly in spring with a slow-release balanced fertilizer