The Takes the Cake® Rabbiteye Blueberry is a deciduous/semi-evergreen plant and will go dormant during the winter months. When this plant is ordered during the Fall/Winter expect seasonal foliage decline(discoloration, spots, leaf drop) or the plant to arrive completely dormant.
For an extra 5% off your order of deciduous plants use coupon code: DormantPlant2020
What to do when a dormant plant arrives:
- Unpackage on arrival and water
- Your plant will be ready to be planted in the landscape or in a container on arrival, or if you wish you can keep your new plant in its container until spring that is ok too
- If planting in the landscape
- Consider using a root stimulating fertilizer to get your plant working hard establishing its root system during the winter months
- Use a heavy Layer of mulch to protect the unestablished roots from frost
- If planting in the landscape
- Dormant plants do require some watering: once a week should be sufficient
- When Spring arrives and your plant begins showing signs of new growth increase your watering schedule to 2 times every 7 to ten days until established, then water as needed. Apply a slow-release granular fertilizer to give your plant a great start
The Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry is a newly developed blueberry bush from the Southern Living Plant Collection! This selection produces flavorful berries with a nice firmness and impressive shelf life. Each berry is large and brightly colored, making them as attractive as they are delicious.
The Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry is of the species Vaccinium ashei ‘Vernon,’ and it has moderate chill requirements. Traditionally, 500-550 hours below 40 degrees to produce fruit.
Spring finds this Rabbiteye Blueberry covered in attractive and petite bell-shaped white flowers that will soon become berries. Furthermore, this is an early season bloomer and it generally blooms about a week and a half after the Climax Blueberry.
This deciduous shrub has a controlled, upright growth habit. So it matures to only 4-5′ H x 3-4′ W. For this reason, it makes a fantastic addition to decorative mixed garden beds as a functional and attractive accent.
Try it as a border plant, container planting, hedge, or mass planting!
Planting more than one variety of Rabbiteye Blueberry bush is crucial for getting large berry harvests. Pair the Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry with its companion, the Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry.
The Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry ships dormant from late fall to spring
Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry Care
Hardy from USDA Zones 7-9, down to 0°F.
Requires Full Sun to grow and fruit properly.
Water 2-3 times per week during the growing season to help ensure that it establishes deep roots. Then, water 1-2 times per week during the second growing season. Afterward, provide supplemental water in times of extended drought and heat.
Prefers rich acidic soil with good drainage. The Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry will not do well in clay soil.
Fertilize with an organic acidic plant fertilizer in spring.
Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry Spacing Recommendations
We recommend spacing your Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes 4-5 feet apart or more to allow easy access for berry picking and sunlight access. However, feel free to plant them 3 feet apart for a seamless blueberry hedge.