The Woodard Rabbiteye Blueberry is a deciduous/semi-evergreen plant and will go dormant during the winter months. When this plant is ordered during the Fall/Winter expect seasonal foliage decline(discoloration, spots, leaf drop) or the plant to arrive completely dormant.
For an extra 10% off your order of deciduous plants use coupon code: DormantPlant2021
What to do when a dormant plant arrives:
- Unpackage on arrival and water
- Your plant will be ready to be planted in the landscape or in a container on arrival, or if you wish you can keep your new plant in its container until spring that is ok too
- If planting in the landscape
- Consider using a root stimulating fertilizer to get your plant working hard establishing its root system during the winter months
- Use a heavy Layer of mulch to protect the unestablished roots from frost
- If planting in the landscape
- Dormant plants do require some watering: once a week should be sufficient
- When Spring arrives and your plant begins showing signs of new growth increase your watering schedule to 2 times every 7 to ten days until established, then water as needed. Apply a slow-release granular fertilizer to give your plant a great start
The Woodard Rabbiteye Blueberry is one of the oldest Rabbiteye varieties around, and it’s still one of the best! It’s is one of the earliest fruiting blueberries around, as it only requires 350 Chill Hours (Chill Hours are the number of hours under 45 degrees that a plant needs to produce fruit). White bell-shaped blooms cover this shrub in early spring. Then, medium to large dark blue blueberries mature in late spring to early summer. This fruit is rich in antioxidants and very tasty. You can feel good about feeding your family healthy fruit every year grown in your very own garden!
The foliage is bluish-green in hue and lightly glossy. Before losing its leaves in winter, its foliage takes on an orange-red hue in fall.
This selection is naturally heat-tolerant which makes it well suited for growing in the southern United States.
Reaches a mature size of 5-6 feet high and 5-6 feet wide.
We do not guarantee that they will be fruiting or flowering on arrival. Our priority is providing quality landscape plants that are ready to perform beautifully over time.
Woodard Rabbiteye Blueberry Care
It’s hardy from USDA Zones 6-9. This is a deciduous variety that will lose its leaves yearly in late fall to early winter. New leaves will emerge in spring.
Grows best with Full Sun exposure.
Water 2-3 times per week for the first growing season. After the first growing season, provide supplementary water in times of extended drought and/or heat.
Plant in slightly acidic soil with good drainage for best results. Alkaline soil may lead your plant to struggle over time.
Fertilize in early spring with organic acidic plant fertilizer.
How to Space Your Woodard Rabbiteye Blueberry
For a hedge of blueberry bushes, plant 4-5 feet apart center-to-center. Plant 6+ feet apart for best plantings.
Suggested Cross Pollinators
Planting with other varieties of Rabbiteye Blueberries for cross-pollination vastly increases and improve fruit production. Two reliable pollinators for this selection include the Climax Rabbiteye Blueberry and Premier Rabbiteye Blueberry.
Why Buy Woodard Rabbiteye Blueberry Bushes Online from PlantsbyMail.com?
Our plants are well-established, healthy, and ready to take off in your landscape. If you’re unhappy with your order, please give us a call at 1-866-618-5659 or send us an email at [email protected]. We’ll be happy to address your case quickly and make it right.