Before purchasing make sure to check you growing zone to make sure the plant will thrive in your USDA Zone
Choose a location that will receive the required amount of
sunlight according to the care tag.
Sun – 6+ Hrs | Partial Sun/Shade
– 3-6 Hrs | Shade – 3 or less hours
of Sun per day
Groundwork: Soil Prep
The soil in the ideal location will have well-drained soil.
If the soil is not “well-draining” plan to dig the hole for your new acidic
loving plants (ALP’s) 3-4 times larger than the pot and using a well-drained
garden soil to back fill the hole to make sure that plant is receiving adequate
drainage. Poor drainage can lead to root rot and disease.
To make sure your new ALP is going to thrive you want to
make sure that you will be planting in well-drained slightly acidic soil. The
Ideal pH range for most ALP’s from 5 to 6.5, but we recommend checking the care
tag to see the ideal range on the particular species you are planting. If the
information is not listed on the tag a quick search on your favorite search
engine will provide you this information.
We recommend using a well-drained garden soil mixed in with
your native soil (If you have nice soil in your location) to back fill the hole
when planting. You can also consider adding compost, peat moss, and manure
which can help improve your soils’ fertility and drainage.
When to Plant
Spring and Autumn/Fall are considered the ideal time to
plant due to the milder conditions, but you can be plant throughout the year as
long as adequate care is taken to care for the new plants.
- Water your new acid loving plant thoroughly before
- Start by digging the hole 2-x times larger than
the root ball
- Remove the plant from the container and tease
the root ball loosening the roots
- You want the top of the root ball to be slightly
above the soil level(approx. 1/4-1/2 inch)
- Fill in around the plant with your mixture of
well drained garden soil and organic matter of choice
- Add mulch to help regulated moisture
- Water 2-3 times per week until established, then as needed in dry conditions
- Fertilize with a well-balance fertilizer that is
formulated for acid loving plants to keep your plants well fed(Repeat annually