The Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry is a deciduous/semi-evergreen plant and will go dormant during the winter months. When this plant is ordered during the Fall/Winter expect seasonal foliage decline(discoloration, spots, leaf drop) or the plant to arrive completely dormant.
For an extra 10% off your order of deciduous plants use coupon code: DormantPlant2021
What to do when a dormant plant arrives:
- Unpackage on arrival and water
- Your plant will be ready to be planted in the landscape or in a container on arrival, or if you wish you can keep your new plant in its container until spring that is ok too
- If planting in the landscape
- Consider using a root stimulating fertilizer to get your plant working hard establishing its root system during the winter months
- Use a heavy Layer of mulch to protect the unestablished roots from frost
- If planting in the landscape
- Dormant plants do require some watering: once a week should be sufficient
- When Spring arrives and your plant begins showing signs of new growth increase your watering schedule to 2 times every 7 to ten days until established, then water as needed. Apply a slow-release granular fertilizer to give your plant a great start
The Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry is a fantastic new blueberry bush from the Southern Living Plant Collection’s DownHome Harvest Edible Collection! Bless Your Heart produces large bounties of medium-sized, firm blueberries rich in flavor and antioxidants!
This s an early-blooming variety. Furthermore, it traditionally blooms at the same time as the Climax Blueberry. Expect it to be heavily coated in petite bell-shaped white flowers.
The Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry is of the variety Vaccinium ashei ‘Alapaha,’ and generally requires about 450-500 chill hours. This breed is characterized by early ripening fruit, which generally occurs in late May to early June.
One of the best aspects of this Blueberry is its controlled, upright growth habit that matures to 4-5’ H x 3-4’ W. Therefore, it’s easy to work into any size of landscape!
Rabbiteye Blueberries produce more fruit when they can cross-pollinate with other varieties. We recommend planting the Bless Your Heart with its companion, the Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry.
*The Bless Your Heart Blueberry ships dormant from late fall through winter*
Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry Care Tips
Hardy in USDA Zones 7-9, and will go dormant yearly.
Plant in Full Sun to ensure maximum foliage and berry production.
Water 2-3 times per week during the first growing season. In the second growing season, decrease watering to 1-2 times per week.
Rabbiteye Blueberries require slightly acidic soil to thrive. Consequently, the Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry won’t do well in alkaline soil.
If you have alkaline soil, supplement it with elemental sulfur to decrease the pH.
Spacing Recommendations for the Bless Your Heart Rabbiteye Blueberry
For a hedge of Bless Your Heart rabbiteye blueberries, plant them 3 to 4 feet apart center-to-center. However, we generally recommend planting these blueberry bushes at least 5 feet apart to leave space between for ease of picking and maximum sunlight exposure.