The Heaven’s Sake Rabbiteye Blueberry is a deciduous/semi-evergreen plant and will go dormant during the winter months. When this plant is ordered during the Fall/Winter expect seasonal foliage decline(discoloration, spots, leaf drop) or the plant to arrive completely dormant.
For an extra 10% off your order of deciduous plants use coupon code: DormantPlant2021
What to do when a dormant plant arrives:
- Unpackage on arrival and water
- Your plant will be ready to be planted in the landscape or in a container on arrival, or if you wish you can keep your new plant in its container until spring that is ok too
- If planting in the landscape
- Consider using a root stimulating fertilizer to get your plant working hard establishing its root system during the winter months
- Use a heavy Layer of mulch to protect the unestablished roots from frost
- If planting in the landscape
- Dormant plants do require some watering: once a week should be sufficient
- When Spring arrives and your plant begins showing signs of new growth increase your watering schedule to 2 times every 7 to ten days until established, then water as needed. Apply a slow-release granular fertilizer to give your plant a great start
The For Heaven’s Sake Rabbiteye Blueberry is an exciting new addition to the Southern Living Plant Collection‘s blueberry lineup! This variety is a replacement for the Tifblue Rabbiteye Blueberry because it has very similar fruiting specifications but it has more compact growth. It produces large bounties of delicious late-season light-blue blueberries that range from medium to large. These berries are notably firm with fantastic flavor. Expect it to be covered in small bell-shaped white flowers in late spring.
This shrub has a controlled upright growth habit that matures to 4-5′ H x 3-4′ W. Its leaves are blueish-green with purple-red hues in fall.
This variety is characterized by early ripening, late flowering, and a moderate chilling requirement (600-650 hours); which helps ward off damage from late frosts and results in high yields of quality fruit.
Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes are ideal for Southern gardeners thanks to their heat tolerance, as well as disease and pest resistance.
For Heaven’s Sake Rabbiteye Blueberry Care
Hardy from USDA Zones 6b-9, down to -10°F when fully established. This is a deciduous plant, so expect it to lose all of its leaves in winter.
Grows and fruits best in Full Sun.
Water 2-3 times per week for the first growing season.
Plant in slightly acidic soil with good drainage.
Fertilize in early spring with an organic acidic plant fertilizer to promote growth and the overall health of your plant.
How to Plant the For Heaven’s Sake Rabbiteye Blueberry Bush
First, determine a suitable planting location. Then, dig a hole 3x as wide as the root ball of your plant. This makes it easier for your Rabbiteye Blueberry to root in the surrounding soil. The hole should be deep enough that your plant will sit evenly or slightly above the ground around it. Next, mix your native soil with a bag or two of good quality garden soil or composted manure. Backfill the hole with the soil mixture around your plant. Afterward, water your new planting 2-3 times per week for the first growing season.
Spacing Your For Heaven’s Sake Rabbiteye Blueberry Shrubs
Space 2 feet apart for a seamless planting. Otherwise, plant your Ochlockonee Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes over 4 feet apart for space between plants.
Why Buy the For Heaven’s Sake Rabbiteye Blueberry from PlantsbyMail.com?
We appreciate our customers trusting us with the responsibility to ship healthy, quality plants. We take this responsibility very seriously! If you’re not happy with your order when it arrives, contact us at either 1-866-618-5659 or [email protected].